Electrical & Controls Engineering Job Description
Giffin is seeking an energetic, self-motivated Electrical & Controls engineer to join our expanding Electrical team. The Electrical Controls engineer will be responsible for managing Automotive and General Industrial Paint Finishing projects as it relates to Process, Conveyor, and Robotic Automation controls. In this role, you will be working closely with the Giffin Design/Mechanical engineering teams, overseeing Electrical installation and Controls subcontractors, conducting meetings with the Customer, and reporting project status to Giffin management.
The selected candidate shall be well organized, have strong problem-solving skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, be productive without direct supervision, and can travel approximately 20% to local and out of town jobsites.
- Review and understand customer project specifications
- Develop scope of work for Controls & Electrical installation subcontractors
- Review and understand subcontractor proposals
- Participate in Customer and subcontractor contract award negotiations
- Review and approve electrical schematics, PLC logic, and HMI graphics
- Review Control panel fabrication
- Create requisitions for purchased equipment
- Determine electrical load utility requirements
- Coordinate Building and Process equipment requirements
- Coordinate equipment interlock signals between subcontractors
- Maintain Control panel fabrication & field installation schedules
- Coordinate IT manufacturing requirements, i.e. Plant-wide Fault monitoring, part tracking, etc.
- Create & resolve electrical installation punch list
- Assist with equipment commissioning activities
- Participate with Customer equipment functionality validation and acceptance activities
- Maintain “Things Gone Right/Things Gone Wrong” continuous improvement journal
- Create/modify company Electrical engineering standards
- Maintain ISO/QOS company documentation requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical engineering
- 0-5+ years of Automotive Paint Finishing experience
- Ability to read and understand Electrical schematics
- PLC/HMI literate
- Troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with applicable codes (NFPA, NEC)
- Proficient MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)